A car emergency kit can mean the difference between getting back on the road quickly, and being stranded for hours.
With December and holiday time approaching quickly, it is a good idea to make sure you and your car are road-trip ready ahead of time. Leaving preparations to the last minute could see you forgetting something essential.
Many accidents are avoidable and taking some time to prepare could save you time, money or even a life.
Some of these items may seem quite obvious.
Car Emergency Kit “Must Haves”
- Durable canvas bagto store supplies
- Fuel canister or trusty old “Jerry can”
- Jumper cables(be sure to get the right gauge for your vehicle)
- Reflective triangle
- Jack and trestle
- Spare tire
- Lock nut and pulling tool
- Wheel spanner in the correct size
- Spare fuses
- Bottled water
- Wet wipes
- Cable ties
- Granola / energy bars
- Small tool kit(screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, tire pressure gauge, etc.)
- Torch and extra batteries (Rather conserve your phones battery where possible in case you need it later)
- Car fire extinguisher
- Top up Coolant
- Top up engine oil
- Roll of duct tape
- Paper towels / rags
- Washer fluid
- Pen and paper
- Seasonal supplies (rain gear, umbrella, etc.)
- First aid kit (make sure it is fully stocked)
- Towing strapor chain
- Sanitation (hand sanitizer, wet wipes, rubbish bags)
- Emergency car battery charger or solar battery charger
- Basic Toiletries
- Cell phone charger (best left in car at all times
The Arrive Alive Foundation recommends that you have, at the very least, a basic first aid kit containing the following:
1 x Burnshield Dressing 100x100mm
1 x Proform Bandage 50mm x1 FAD No. 2 (50x75mm)
1 x FAD No. 3 (75x100mm)
1 x Progauze Swabs Non-Sterile (75x75mm) 5’s
10 x Plaster Strips
1 x Levtex Pair of Gloves
1 x Plastic Forceps
1 x Safety Pins (12’s)
1 x CPR Mouthpiece
1 x First Aid Scissors (Metal)
2 x Antiseptic Cleansing Wipes
In addition to having a road emergency kit at the ready, VAG Spec Centre Cape Town highly recommends having your vehicle inspected well ahead of time if you are planning to travel long distances. Feel free to contact us to book your free holiday inspection on your VW or Audi between 01 October 2021 – 31 December 2021. If your vehicle is serviced with us regularly, the same safety inspection is carried out at no extra cost with every service.
An emergency kit is a good idea all year round. Especially if you or someone you know travels a lengthy distance or commutes on a daily basis.
If you already have an emergency kit, remember to check it regularly to make sure none of the items are expired or have been used and not returned.
Lastly it is a good idea to have energy numbers saved on your phone. These numbers include paramedic services as well as the road or highway assist for the roads you will be traveling. Rather have the numbers and not need them, then need them and not have them.